Transformation of George Street, south of Bathurst Street, into a pedestrian-friendly area.
What work is being done?
- Extended pedestrianised zones at the southern end of George Street between Bathurst Street and Rawson Place
- Open space improvements on George Street between Rawson Place and Pitt Street, Ultimo Road, Thomas Street and Hay Street
- More than 9,000 square metres of new space for walking
- Granite footpaths to replace car lanes
- New street trees, seating and lighting
- Spaces for outdoor dining
- Simpler intersections to reduce travel times for everyone
THE PEDESTRIAN AREA BETWEEN BATHURST STREET AND GOULBURN STREET IS NOW COMPLETED AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. PEDESTRIANS MAY NOW CROSS THE LIGHT RAIL TRACKS FREELY IN THIS SECTION. PLEASE REMEMBER TO LOOK OUT FOR THE LIGHT RAIL AND EXERCISE CAUTION BEFORE CROSSING!
Construction has been divided into various stages to minimise impact, and updates will be shared as works progress.
- March 2021 – Construction started on George Street, between Bathurst Street and Liverpool Street (blocks are being opened up progressively as works are completed)
- April 2021 – Construction started between Liverpool Street and Goulburn Street
- July 2021 – Construction starts between Goulburn Street and Hay Street
Construction will continue to move south, block by block, on the east and west side of the light rail tracks, to Rawson Place and then Quay Street as well as Ultimo Road, Hay Street and Devonshire Street (between Elizabeth Street and Chalmers Street).
The estimated construction period for the overall project is March 2021 to Mid 2022.
Work will predominantly be carried out during the day between 7:00am and 5:00pm (Monday to Saturday). Some noise restricted activities will occur between 5:00pm and 10:30pm but will not be programmed to be continuous.
Additional weekend and night works:
Works over some nights and weekends will be required when the light rail is not operating. We will notify you in advance when any night and weekend works are scheduled.
We will work to minimise impacts during this time. However, there may be machinery noise, temporary restrictions to traffic parking and changes to pedestrian access. If there is bad weather, our contractors will try to start the work the next day. If unsuitable weather continues, we will update you on any changes to the schedule.
You will still be able to access properties in the street. We will consult with you if we need to temporarily restrict access to progress work.
Artist impression of George Street, pedestrianised between Hay Street and Rawson Place (image by Virtual Ideas, based on a City of Sydney design)
The safety of our communities, residents and staff is our top priority. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, it may become necessary to reschedule works at short notice. Thank you for your patience while we complete these important works.
More information about the George Street pedestrianisation project can be found on the City of Sydney website at: City of Sydney George Street Pedestrian Boulevard
For more information:
Please contact Lynne Tarlinton, Community Liaison Officer, Sydney Civil, on 0424 171 852 or email firstname.lastname@example.org